Wednesday 14 September 2011

The Beginning

After only being here for a few days I have already experienced Africa and what it holds for the next couple of months. The place where we are living is amazing. Our house sits on the top of the hill looking over the wetlands. There are birds and crickets constantly chirping and even though it’s the rainy season it’s still warm and humid. The place we are staying has all the comforts of home; running water, showers, electricity and even (sometimes) internet. Soon enough it will feel more like home, but as of right now it still feels like I’m living in a dream.

Though here we have almost everything that we have at home, it all still feels so unfamiliar and somewhat unreal. I know it takes time to get settled in to a place that’s so new, but it feels like it should be happening faster. My bags are unpacked and my room and house is set up exactly the way that I would want it, but it’s still sinking in that I am actually here and will be here for the next couple of months.

What’s most unsettling thing about this trip thus far is the fact that that it still feels so unreal. I don’t know when the reality will sink in and it’s frightening to think about it because I am already missing home and not having those familiar things around me; like my boyfriend, family and friends. Everything that was so accessible to me at home, but now it is so far away and I do really miss it. I am just worried that once this reality does indeed sink that it’s going to be too hard for me to be away from home and I won’t be able to experience every moment of this trip like I should.

With this being said I think that these feelings are just so overwhelming because everything is so new. I have never done anything like this before, and I just need some time to adjust. These next months are going to be trying, but I know that it’s something that I need to experience. I know that home is always a phone call away (and I even have my own cell phone out here). And, most importantly, I also know that everyone that I love is at home will still be there when I get back.

…and so the adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment