Monday 3 October 2011

CultureShock: The Local Market

I might keep on reinstating the obvious, but life here in many ways is so different than I am used to back home. Some of these differences haven’t bothered me, but for some reason the simple task of going to the market to get vegetables and groceries has definitely turned into an experience that I’m still becoming accustomed to. As of now, it’s one of the biggest adjustments thus far. I know this sounds like I’m overreacting, but it’s been the biggest culture shock up until now. It was just unexpected how culturally different they are here than at home. In Canada, to get your fruits and veggies you go to the grocery store or (in farm land Langley) you can go to a local famer’s market. Simple, fast and an ordinary, every-day experience. I don’t know what I was expecting when I came over here with tasks like getting groceries, but the experience of the market is totally different here.

The first time I went to the market I was so overwhelmed and somewhat intimidated by the environment around me. As you walk into the market area, you’re greeted but groups of men trying to sell you live chickens that are stuffed into cages all around you. There are so many of them, and people are casually taking them in and out of the cages and walking around holding these live chickens. Normally chickens wouldn’t scare me, but for some reason there’s something about having these live chickens thrown into your face as it squawks and tries to fly away that makes you want to run away. And the smell is so overpowering, especially when the wind is not in your favour. It’d just a different kind of environment, and one that I’ve never experienced before.
the outside of the market area

the entrance of the market (note the chickens in the left corner)

Once you get past the chickens, you finally get into the actual market. There’s stand upon stand, row upon row of merchants selling different types of fruits and vegetables. There are so many stands that you can get most every kind of fruit and vegetable; the only fruit we haven’t been able to find in the market thus far are apples. The place is not only filled with produce but also with fruit flies and dust. Obviously it’s not going to be a manicured area, realistically I am in Africa. But the first time I went in there it was just something that I wasn’t fully ready for and honestly, I didn’t know what to expect. The other day we brought a pineapple home, and after it had been on the ground for a while Kristen found hundreds of little ants that came out of the pineapple. It’s just so different than what I am used to. As you look around there are lots of people squished into the little area; merchants at their stands, children running around, ladies trying to sell you homemade craft items and lots of (mostly) local people shopping for their produce. There’s also another areas where people sell items other than produce, such as charcoal and other essentials.


market stands

roadside bananas

another part of the market

Though the first time was a little overwhelming, I am starting to get used to being in the market and starting to enjoy it a little more. It’s not something that I’ll be totally comfortable with fully right away; it will take time to get used to the differences as I have never lived like this before. It’s definitely is a unique experience that I’m not used to, BUT I love the fact that I’m experiencing another culture and their everyday life. Experience is the reason why I came over here, so why not experience the culture in every way that I can; even if that’s just the simple task of going to the market to pick up some fruits and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment